History Corner: Marianne Hanney

Marianne Hanney was best known in the Catholic Deaf Community for her love, faith, and care for 50 years as a Deaf Teacher of the Catholic School for Deaf Children in Newcastle (Waratah) NSW. She was born in Paddington, Sydney on 1 August 1869, her Irish parents being John Hanney and Ellen Kelly. She had one brother, James and one sister, Julie (who died young).
When Marianne was three years old, her father died in 1872. In 1875 she was admitted to the Catholic Orphanage at Parramatta. When she was about seven years old, she became ill with scarlet fever, and on her recovery, it was discovered that the illness had left her completely deaf.
In 1879 Marianne was sent to the Catholic Institution for Deaf and Dumb (later known as School for Deaf Girls at Rosary Convent, Waratah) in Newcastle, NSW. She had the good fortune to be educated by Sister Mary Gabriel (Ellen Hogan) who was Deaf herself and studied History, Geography, Mathematics, English, Needlework, Handwriting and Catechism.

After leaving school, Marianne was trained as a teacher. She became a teacher of the Deaf in 1886 and worked until 1936. Due to the fact that the gift of her deafness gave her sensitivity to the minds of her students, she was considered the best staff member to be responsible for deaf children’s religious instructions. She celebrated her golden jubilee as a teacher of the Deaf. During those 50 years, she left the mark of her influence on many of her pupils with whom she helped mould their lives. She was loved, appreciated, respected and revered.

For over 60 years Marianne knew no other home than Waratah. During her holiday time, she visited many of her former students all over Australia. She would sit down and listen to them while they poured out their hearts to her. She was their lifeline, their role model, and their big sister. Whilst she had many opportunities to see many places in Australia, she still called the Rosary Convent her ‘Home’.

On 14 September 1939, while on a visit to Sydney, Marianne Hanney died at the residence of her deaf friends, Michael and Mary Carmody, at the age of 70 years. She was buried in Sandgate cemetery in Newcastle. She was buried in the Dominican Habit, being a member of the Dominican Third Order (did not become a Dominican Sister herself). Her 50 years of work with the School for Deaf Girls at Rosary Convent, Waratah was recognised and well respected.

Sources: Australian Adult Catholic Deaf and Dumb magazine ‘Past and Present’, ‘History of Catholic Deaf Education in Australia 1875-1975’ book and ‘Open Minds Open Hearts’ book

Catholic Deaf Community – Parramatta Diocese (1989-2010)

Catholic Deaf Community – Parramatta Diocese (1989-2010)

(formerly CADHIPA-Parramatta Diocese)

 

President Secretary       Minute Secretary Treasurer
1989 Anthony Hastings Marie Thompson Leonie Hastings
1990 Anthony Hastings Alice Hastings Wendy Pickup
1991 Anthony Hastings Alice Hastings Brian Johnston Mary Cook
1992 Anthony Hastings Alice Hastings Brian Johnston Mary Cook
1993 Anthony Hastings Alice Hastings Brian Johnston Mary Cook
1994 Anthony Hastings Alice Hastings Brian Johnston Mary Cook
1995 Stephen Lawlor Alice Hastings Brian Johnston Edith Gartner
1996 Stephen Lawlor Mary Caruana Brian Johnston Edith Gartner
1997 Stephen Lawlor Mary Caruana Brian Johnston Edith Gartner
1998 Stephen Lawlor Mary Caruana Brian Johnston Edith Gartner
1999 Stephen Lawlor Mary Caruana Brian Johnston Robert Beath
2000 Stephen Lawlor Mary Caruana Brian Johnston Robert Beath
2001 Anthony Hastings Mary Caruana Brian Johnston Robert Beath
2002 Anthony Hastings Mary Caruana Brian Johnston Robert Beath
2003 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Robert Beath
2004 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Robert Beath
2005 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Robert Beath
2006 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Steven Hely
2007 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Steven Hely
2008 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Steven Hely
2009 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Steven Hely
2010 Anthony Hastings Brian Johnston Steven Hely

Catholic Deaf Association – Catholic Oral Deaf Club

Catholic Deaf Association – Catholic Oral Deaf Club (1965-1976)

President Secretary Treasurer
1965 Peter Hannan
1966 Gilbert Majarich Margaret Patterson (Craig) Margaret Steedman
1967 Gilbert Majarich Margaret Patterson (Craig) Dennis Johnston
1968 Kevin Beath Mary Baddock (Profilio) Danny Blakeney
1969 Bob Lawrence Brian Johnston Robert Beath
1970 Stephen Lawlor Lynette Johnston (Pivac) Dennis Johnston
1971 Stephen Lawlor Mary Baddock (Profilio) Dennis Johnston
1972 John Boyle Dennis Johnston Suzanne Gallagher
1973 Robert Beath Thomas Bible Joseph Mahony
1974 Thomas Bible Joanne Bockerman Michael Mahony
1975 Michael Paul Angela Redmond Anthony Hastings
1976 Robert Beath Brian Johnston Anthony Hastings

 

 

 

List of Chaplains since 1930s

List of Chaplains:

1930-1934   Fr Dominic Phillips (mission)

1935-1937   Fr Dominic Phillips (1st chaplain)

1938-1941   Fr Greville Templeton

1942-1978   Fr William Malone

1979-1988   XXX

1989-2000   Fr Peter Fitzgerald

2001-2013   Fr Peter Woodward

2014             Fr Michael Lanzon, Fr John Paul Escarlan, Fr Kim Ha (part time)

2014             Fr Michael Lanzon

Catholic Deaf Community NSW 100 years Celebrations – a brief history

Timeline of 100 years of Catholic Deaf Community NSW

1914     Catholic Deaf Association was formed in Sydney by Arthur Power (Deaf) with the support of Sister Mary Gabriel Hogan (Deaf) and Sister Mary Columba Dwyer of Rosary Convent Deaf School, Waratah (Newcastle NSW). The first deaf committee were Arthur Power (President), Marianne Hanney, Maggie Duffy, Michael and Mary Carmody, all ex-pupils of Rosary Convent. Sister Mary Gabriel Hogan came from Ireland to Australia in 1875 to open the Deaf School in Newcastle – the first Catholic Deaf School in Australia (School moved to Rosary Convent, Waratah in 1888).

 

1914 + During the early days of the Association, social gatherings were held in the home of Michael and Mary Carmody at Abbotsford, Sydney. Also, its members returned to the Rosary Convent for annual weekend retreats where the Dominican Sisters interpreted the priest’s talks.

 

1916 Annual Retreat at Waratah.

 

1921 Annual reunion at ‘Santa Sabina’ Dominican Convent in Strathfield in January.

 

1922 St Gabriel’s Deaf School for Boys was opened at Castle Hill, Sydney by the Christian Brothers from Ireland. Like Waratah, the method of instruction at St Gabriel’s was by the ‘Manual System’ (Irish one hand finger spelling and signs). The Catholic Deaf Association became a formal organisation with Brother Damian Allen as President and Arthur Power as Secretary.

1922 + Monthly meetings for spiritual instructions were held at St Mary’s Cathedral Chapter Hall, Sydney.

1924 10th Anniversary. Social gatherings were continued at the Carmody home in Abbotsford. The three days retreat was held at St Mary’s Cathedral in November and the Christian Brothers interpreted Fr Hogan’s talks there.

1928 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield in January.

1929 Annual Adult Catholic Deaf Picnic day was held at St Gabriel’s, Castle Hill in November.

1930      Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield where Father Dominic Phillips (having Deaf sister) gave spiritual instruction in January. For the first time in the history of Australian Catholic Deaf they were addressed by a priest in their own sign language and no interpreter was required.

 

1931 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield with Father Phillips’ mission.

 

1932 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield with Father Phillips’ mission. Monthly meetings continued at St Mary’s Cathedral school-rooms.

 

1933 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield with Father Phillips’ mission.

 

1934 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield with Father Phillips’ mission.

 

1935 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield with Father Phillips in January. Father Phillips was appointed the first Chaplain to the Adult Catholic Deaf in Sydney (and in Australia). December saw the annual retreat at St Gabriel’s and picnic outing to Avalon Beach.

 

1936 Picnic outing to Royal National Park in January. Under Father Phillips the Catholic Women’s Association formed a sub-committee to focus on helping the Adult Catholic Deaf Community with Mary ‘Belle’ Thornton as the convenor (‘Ladies Auxiliary’). Social gatherings were then held regularly in the Catholic Women’s Association rooms in King Street, Sydney.

 

1937 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield with Father Phillips in February. Sad news came when Father Phillips moved to his new job in New Zealand and Father Greville Templeton (partially Deaf) replaced him as the new Chaplain. Monthly instruction for Adult Catholic Deaf was held at the room of the Catholic Women’s Association room after many years in St Mary’s Cathedral Chapter Hall.

 

1939 25th Anniversary was celebrated with a Silver Jubilee dinner in St Mary’s Cathedral Chapter Hall in November.

 

1940 Catholic Deaf Association moved into their first Club rooms at Lisgar House, 20 Carrington Street, Sydney where activities flourished. Cardinal Gilroy blessed this new meeting place of the Catholic Deaf in April.

 

1941      Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield with Father Herbert Myers, Military Chaplain (who can converse by finger spelling and signs) in January. The Ephpheta Feast Day was celebrated by Sydney Catholic Deaf for the first time with a picnic at ‘Loyola Grail’ headquarters, Greenwich in August.

 

1942 Cardinal Gilroy appointed Father William Malone as a new part-time Chaplain for the Deaf in April. He continued as a tireless and beloved Chaplain and advocate for the Catholic Deaf Community he served for over 36 years until 1979. The Annual Christmas Party was held in Lisgar House in December with Father Malone.

 

1943 The Ephpheta Feast Day was celebrated at the home of Our Lady’s Nurses at Coogee.

 

1946 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield in January.

 

1947 Annual Reunion at Santa Sabina, Strathfield in January and at St Gabriel’s in October.

 

1948 Annual Communion at St Mary’s Cathedral following by Breakfast in Cusa House, 175 Elizabeth Street, Sydney in August

 

1949 Weekly Club Friday night was transferred to Legion House, 161 Castlereagh Street, Sydney in July. Regular social nights were changed to the 2nd Friday of each month in September. Annual Communion at St Mary’s Cathedral following by Breakfast in Legion House in August.

 

1950 Annual Communion at St Mary’s Cathedral following by Breakfast in Cusa House in August.

 

1951 Annual Communion at St Mary’s Cathedral following by Breakfast in Cusa House in August.

 

1952 Ferrini House, Croydon was changed into a hostel for Catholic Deaf working lads in July under the work of Allan Prescott, the only Catholic layman in Sydney who was proficient in sign language. Annual Communion at St Mary’s Cathedral following by Breakfast in Cusa House in August.

 

1954 Annual Communion at St Mary’s Cathedral following by Breakfast in Cusa House in August. Annual Reunion and Fete Day at St Gabriel’s in September.

 

1956 The beautiful Catholic Deaf Association banner painted by Ron Wild was blessed by Cardinal Gilroy who always showed great interest in its members and welfare.

 

1957      Catholic Deaf Debuntes Ball held in Legion House.

 

1959      Catholic Deaf Debuntes Ball held in Legion House.

 

1961      Catholic Deaf Debuntes Ball held in Legion House with Cardinal Gilroy in April.

 

1964 50th Anniversary. Father Anthony Ryan was appointed Assistant Chaplain to the Catholic Deaf.

 

1965 A new branch of Catholic Deaf Association was formed – Catholic Deaf Oral Club with Fr Ryan.

 

1966 Catholic Deaf social gatherings were moved to Marion House in Castlereagh Street. The exciting news came when the Pope allowed Fr Malone to use the sign language in the Mass in a unique ceremony in the crypt of St Mary’s Cathedral which was televised for national viewing – the world first occurrence – on Ephpheta Feast Day in August.

 

1971 Father John McKinnon was appointed as Assistant Chaplain for the Catholic Deaf.

 

1972 Annual Ephpheta Day Mass celebrated by Fr Malone in the crypt of St Mary’s Cathedral following by Breakfast in Cusa House.

 

1975 Annual Ephpheta Day Mass and luncheon held at Santa Sabina, Strathfield in August. There was a big celebration of the Centenary of Catholic Deaf Education in Australia (1875-1975) in Newcastle in August.

 

1976 Last Catholic Deaf gathering at Marion House, Sydney in March before moving to the new Adult Deaf Centre (Deaf Society of NSW premises) in Cambridge Street, Stanmore. Deaf Mass was held on 2nd Sunday afternoon of each month there. Catholic Deaf Friendship Club (formerly Catholic Oral Deaf Club) joined up with the Catholic Deaf Association.

 

1977 Annual Ephpheta Day Mass held in the crypt of St Mary’s Cathedral following by luncheon at Sydney Catholic Club.

 

1978 Annual Ephpheta Day Mass held in the crypt of St Mary’s Cathedral following by luncheon at Sydney Catholic Club. Father John Anderson was appointed as Assistant Chaplain for the Catholic Deaf.

 

1978      Jeanne Crowe retired as Secretary of Ladies Auxiliary (Hearing) of Catholic Deaf Association in October after 26 years. The important National Catholic Deaf Conference was held in Canberra in November and their theme was ‘Deaf People in the Church’. A national body called the ‘Catholic Association of Deaf and Hearing Impaired People of Australia Inc’ (CADHIPA) was then formed.

 

1979 The Ephpheta Centre was opened in Paddington to provide services to the Catholic Deaf Community in Sydney. Sister Helen Gaffey was the first Director of the Ephpheta Centre. Annual Ephpheta Day Mass and luncheon held at Stanmore Deaf Centre in August. Father Malone said his last Deaf Mass at Stanmore in December. The State body ‘CADHIPA (NSW) was formed in Sydney and the Catholic Deaf Association was one of their several representatives.

 

1980 Monthly Deaf Mass continued at Stanmore every 2nd Sunday morning of each month including Ephpheta Day Mass in August.

 

1982 Catholic Women’s League (Ladies Auxiliary) helpers including Jeanne Crowe ceased catering services to Catholic Deaf Association after 46 years.

 

1984 Annual Ephpheta Day Mass held at St Francis Church, Paddington in August.

 

1989 The Ephpheta Centre moved from Paddington to Lewisham. Regular Deaf Mass commenced at Lewisham. The Catholic Deaf in the Parramatta Diocese formed their own organisation, ‘CADHIPA – Parramatta Diocese’. Father Peter Fitzgerald became the Chaplain. Catholic Deaf Association celebrates 75 years!

 

1991      CADHIPA (NSW) joined up with the Catholic Deaf Association under the new name ‘CADHIPA – Sydney/Broken Bay in October.

 

1996      The Ephpheta Centre moved from Lewisham to Flemington.

 

1998 National CADHIPA closed.

 

1999 CADHIPA – Sydney/Broken Bay was renamed as Catholic Deaf Association – Sydney/Broken Bay while CADHIPA – Parramatta Diocese was renamed as Catholic Deaf Association – Parramatta Diocese.

 

2001 Father Peter Woodward replaced Fr Peter Fitzgerald as Chaplain to the Catholic Deaf.

 

2005 Cardinal George Pell decided it was time for a Deaf layperson to become director of the Ephpheta Centre and Stephen Lawlor was appointed.

 

2009 The Ephpheta Centre was again on the move, this time to Punchbowl.

 

2010 Catholic Deaf Community – Parramatta Diocese joined with the Catholic Deaf Association – Sydney/Broken Bay Dioceses under the new name ‘Catholic Deaf Community NSW’.

 

2012 Stephen Lawlor was awarded the honour of a Papal award, receiving the honour of Knight of St Sylvester in recognition of his work in the Church and to the Catholic Deaf community.

 

2013 Father Peter Woodward retired as Chaplain to the Catholic Deaf after 12 years.

 

2014 Catholic Deaf Community NSW celebrates their 100th Anniversary with Mass at St Mary’s Cathedral and luncheon in Castlereagh Club (Catholic Club). Three part-time Chaplains are appointed: Fr John Paul Escarlan, Fr Michael Lanzon and Fr Kim Ha.

 

 

 

Catholic Deaf Community committee time line

Catholic Deaf Community – Parramatta Diocese (1989-2010)
(formerly CADHIPA-Parramatta Diocese)

 

 

 

President

Secretary      

Minute Secretary

Treasurer

1989

Anthony Hastings

Marie Thompson

 

Leonie Hastings

1990

Anthony Hastings

Alice Hastings

 

Wendy Pickup

1991

Anthony Hastings

Alice Hastings

Brian Johnston

Mary Cook

1992

Anthony Hastings

Alice Hastings

Brian Johnston

Mary Cook

1993

Anthony Hastings

Alice Hastings

Brian Johnston

Mary Cook

1994

Anthony Hastings

Alice Hastings

Brian Johnston

Mary Cook

1995

Stephen Lawlor

Alice Hastings

Brian Johnston

Edith Gartner

1996

Stephen Lawlor

Mary Caruana

Brian Johnston

Edith Gartner

1997

Stephen Lawlor

Mary Caruana

Brian Johnston

Edith Gartner

1998

Stephen Lawlor

Mary Caruana

Brian Johnston

Edith Gartner

1999

Stephen Lawlor

Mary Caruana

Brian Johnston

Robert Beath

2000

Stephen Lawlor

Mary Caruana

Brian Johnston

Robert Beath

2001

Anthony Hastings

Mary Caruana

Brian Johnston

Robert Beath

2002

Anthony Hastings

Mary Caruana

Brian Johnston

Robert Beath

2003

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Robert Beath

2004

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Robert Beath

2005

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Robert Beath

2006

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Steven Hely

2007

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Steven Hely

2008

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Steven Hely

2009

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Steven Hely

2010

Anthony Hastings

Brian Johnston

 

Steven Hely

Michael and Mary Jane Carmody

History Corner
By Brian Johnston

Michael and Mary Jane Carmody

mary and michael carmody

Both Michael Carmody and his wife, Mary were the foundation members of the Catholic Deaf Association (CDA) which was formed in 1914. Mary Carmody was the CDA secretary for many years in the late 1910s and the early 1920s while Michael Carmody was on the committee. They always made their long-term home ‘Fleurange’ in Reginald Street, Abbotsford available for the Catholic Deaf gatherings and fundraising functions for many years till the 1950s.

Michael Patrick Carmody was born at Berry, NSW in 1878, one of eight children of John Carmody and Mary MacDonald. He was the 12th boy enrolled at the Dominican Sisters’ Deaf School in Waratah, Newcastle in 1889 until 1893.

Michael’s wife, Mary Jane Ryan was born at Toowoomba, Queensland in 1871, one of thirteen children of Patrick Ryan and Johanna Frawley. Mary Jane Ryan was the 11th girl enrolled at Waratah Deaf School in May 1884 with his younger sister, Catherine (who died at Waratah in 1904 aged 28). It is said that they also had two deaf brothers.

In 1901 Michael and Mary Jane were married at St Vincent’s Church, Redfern and they first met when at school. They had no children. In 1951 they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a party given by the CDA where they received a Papal Blessing. Michael worked as a tailor for Mr F Shane for over 30 years.

Michael Patrick Carmody died at Abbotsford on 25 August 1957 aged 79. Mary Jane Carmody died on 9 March 1963 aged 91. Both were buried in Catholic cemetery at Rookwood. They were very much loved and respected in the Catholic Deaf community.

Sources: Waratah enrolment registers, various Catholic newspapers and Ancestry.com website

Deaf Person of the year, Anthony Hastings and Deaf Employee of the year Donovan Mulligan. 2013

Congratulations to Anthony Hastings, Deaf Person of the Year and Donovan Mulligan, Deaf Employee of the Year!

IMG_1876
On the left, Donovan Mulligan and Anthony Hastings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_1878

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2013 Awards by Deaf Australia (NSW) and ASLIA NSW.

Arthur Joseph Power (1893 – 1941)

History Corner
By Brian Johnston

Arthur Joseph Power was active in the formation of Catholic Deaf Association (celebrating their 100 th year this year). He was born in Parkes NSW on 1 November 1893, son of John and Mary Power.

Arthur Joseph PowerHowever, his school admittance register shows that he was born in 1895, coming from Wyalong NSW. From 1905 to 1908 Arthur attended Waratah Catholic Deaf School in Newcastle NSW. After leaving Waratah, he was transferred to the Vocational Training Section of Westmead Boys’ Home in Sydney and became a skilled tradesman.

In 1919 he married a Waratah schoolmate, Josephine Kathleen Wall at Annandale, Sydney and the devoted couple became the parents of five sons and three daughters, namely, John, Patrick, Mary, Arthur, Barbara, Herbert, Paul and Yvonne. The family lived in Nelson Road, Earlwood.
Arthur, even in his early years, showed a marked aptitude for leadership and when the Catholic Deaf Association was formed in Sydney, he became their first President, the position he held for many years. In this capacity, he was also a Secretary of Catholic Deaf Association for some years. He was able to assist his companions in spiritual and temporal matters and was ever ready to help and encourage those in trouble until his untimely death in 1940 at the age of 46 years.

 

 

 

Arthur was also a valued member of the Council of the NSW Association of Deaf and Dumb Citizens from 1929 to 1937 (a breakaway organisation separate from the Adult Deaf and Dumb Society of NSW) and a member of the newly formed Council of the Adult Deaf and Dumb Society in 1937 and 1938.Arthur Power died in Canterbury on 1 August 1940 and is buried in Rookwood Catholic cemetery with his wife, Josephine who died on 21 November 1977 at the age of 82 years. Both Arthur and Josephine were active in the formation of the Catholic Deaf Association and did a lot of work over many years for the benefit of Catholic Deaf Community members.

Sources: ‘History of Catholic Deaf Education in Australia 1875-1975’ and their ‘Pictorial Centenary Souvenir’, 1975 by Sister M Madeleine and The Silent Messenger issues.